Toledo (Spain) is renowned for its rich history, stunning architecture, and vibrant cultural heritage. Located just 75 kilometers south of Madrid, it is a must-see destination for travelers visiting the capital of Spain.
In this article, you will learn how to get to Toledo from Madrid. We will explore the different options available, the duration of the journey, the final price, and useful information to plan your day trip to Toledo from Madrid saving time and money.
Table of contents
- Distance from Madrid to Toledo
- How to get to Toledo from Madrid by train
- How to get to Toledo from Madrid by Bus
- How to get to Toledo from Madrid by Car
- Guided tours from Madrid
- How to get to Toledo from the Airport
- Is it worth visiting Toledo from Madrid?
Distance from Madrid to Toledo
If you want to know how far is Toledo from Madrid, Toledo is located only 45 miles (75 kilometers) away from Madrid.
When it comes to how to get to Toledo from Madrid, you have three main options: by train, by bus, or by car. You will discover that each mode of transportation offers its own advantages and caters to different preferences and budgets.
Besides, for many visitors the most convenient option to visit Toledo is by opting for a guided tour from Madrid.
How to get to Toledo from Madrid by train
Traveling by train is a popular choice for those seeking comfort, convenience, and speed. Renfe, the national railway company of Spain, operates regular high-speed train services between Madrid and Toledo.
The trains depart from Madrid’s Atocha train station and arrive at Toledo’s train station in approximately 35 minutes. The round-trip ticket price for the high-speed train to Toledo from Madrid is approximately 22 euros.
High-speed trains are the fastest way to get to Toledo from Madrid.
From Toledo train station to the city center
Finally, to reach the historic center from the train station in Toledo, there are several options available:
- On Foot: It takes about 20 minutes to walk to the historic center using the escalators at Plaza del Granadal.
- By Taxi: Taxis are available at the station entrance. The approximate cost to reach Zocodover Square is 6 euros.
- By Bus: This is my favorite option, it is convenient and affordable. There is a bus stop for urban buses outside the train station. The bus lines that go to Zocodover Square are 5, 511, 61, and 62. The bus fare is 1.40 euros. Consider that you will have to pay for the tickets in cash and drivers usually do not accept bills larger than 5 euros.
How to get to Toledo from Madrid by Bus
Buses also offer a reliable and affordable option to get to Toledo from Madrid. The buses to Toledo serviced by the Alsa company depart from the Plaza Elíptica Station.
I recommend you opt for the direct bus service to avoid intermediate stops. The duration of the direct trip from Madrid to Toledo by bus is approximately 1 hour, allowing you to reach your destination conveniently.
When it comes to pricing, bus travel offers a budget-friendly option. The round-trip ticket price for the bus from Madrid to Toledo is approximately 11 euros, making it an affordable choice for travelers seeking economical transportation. Booking in advance is recommended to secure your seat and avoid any last-minute hassles.
The bus is the cheapest way to get to Toledo from Madrid.
From Toledo bus station to the city center
To reach the historic center from the bus station in Toledo, you have the following 3 options:
- On Foot: It takes approximately 12 minutes to walk to the historic center using the escalators at Plaza del Granadal.
- By Taxi: The cost to reach Zocodover Square is around 6 euros. Taxis can be found at the station entrance.
- By Bus: Within the bus station, there is a stop for the urban bus line 5, and outside the station, there is another stop for lines 12, 61, 62, and 511. All of these buses will take you to Zocodover Square. As I have explained above, the fare for the urban bus is 1.40 euros to pay in cash with bills smaller than 5 euros.
How to get to Toledo from Madrid by Car
For travelers who prefer the freedom and flexibility of driving, renting a car provides an excellent option. The journey from Madrid to Toledo by car usually takes about one hour, depending on traffic. The route is straightforward, and you can follow the A-42 highway southbound.
Accessing and driving in Toledo can be challenging, and parking in the historic center is mostly reserved for residents. Therefore, I recommend you leave your car in one of the free, open-air parking areas before entering the city. From any of these parking areas, it takes a maximum of 15 to 20 minutes to walk to the city center or you can take an urban bus if you are carrying some bags.
The last time I visited Toledo, I was carrying multiple suitcases and my daughter’s stroller. So I decided to park my car at the parking lot called Indigo Corralillo de San Miguel, it is pretty convenient although it is obviously more expensive.
Anyway, consider that walking along the cobblestone streets of Toledo with several suitcases is not an easy task.
Guided tours from Madrid
When talking about how to get to Toledo from Madrid, choosing a guided tour from Madrid provides several advantages that make the journey seamless and enjoyable.
Firstly, guided tours take care of all the logistics, including transportation and itinerary planning. This means you don’t have to worry about navigating public transportation or figuring out the best attractions to visit. The tour operator will arrange for comfortable transportation and ensure that you make the most of your time in Toledo.
Guided tours also provide the expertise of a knowledgeable tour guide. These guides are well-versed in the history, culture, and highlights of Toledo, offering insightful commentary and answering any questions you may have along the way. They can take you to the must-see attractions and provide interesting facts and stories that bring the city to life.
Overall, choosing a guided tour from Madrid to Toledo is a convenient and efficient way to explore this enchanting city. You can simply sit back, relax, and let the tour take care of the details, allowing you to fully enjoy the beauty and history of Toledo without any stress or worries.
How to get to Toledo from the Airport
If you are visiting Toledo for the first time, you have to consider that there is no airport in Toledo itself. The closest major airport is Madrid-Barajas Airport (MAD). From the airport, there are several alternatives to reach Toledo:
- Train: You can take a train from Madrid-Barajas Airport to Atocha Train Station in Madrid. From Atocha, you can then catch a high-speed train to Toledo.
- Bus: You will have to use Metro Madrid to get from the Airport to Plaza Eliptica Station. From there, you can find direct buses to Toledo.
- Car Rental: If you prefer the flexibility of having your own vehicle, you can consider renting a car from the airport. The route is straightforward, and you can follow the A-42 highway southbound.
- Private Transfer: If you prefer a more personalized and convenient option, you can arrange a private transfer or taxi service from the airport directly to Toledo.
For a more in-depth understanding of each alternative, I recommend checking out my dedicated post on how to get to Toledo from Madrid Airport. It contains all the necessary information to make your journey smooth and enjoyable.
Is it worth visiting Toledo from Madrid?
Yes, a day trip to Toledo from Madrid is definitely worth it.
Toledo’s rich history, stunning architecture, and cultural heritage make it a captivating destination to explore. Within a day, you can visit iconic landmarks, such as the Toledo Cathedral and Alcázar of Toledo, stroll through its charming streets, sample local cuisine, and immerse yourself in the city’s fascinating history.
So, if you’re looking to add a touch of enchantment to your Madrid itinerary, this is one of my favorite day trips from Madrid.
There are several options to get to Toledo from Madrid. Whether you choose to take the high-speed train for a quick journey, hop on a bus for convenience, or embark on a road trip by car, each mode of transportation offers its own advantages.
The final decision will depend on your preferences, budget, and schedule. In all cases, remember to plan in advance to make the most of your time in Toledo.
What is the best way to get to Toledo from Madrid?
The best way to get to Toledo from Madrid depends on your personal preferences, budget, and time constraints. The most popular options are the train and the bus. These modes of transportation are widely chosen by visitors due to their convenience, accessibility, and regular schedules.
How far is Toledo from Madrid?
Toledo is located approximately 75 kilometers (45 miles) south of Madrid.
How long does it take to travel from Madrid to Toledo?
The journey by high-speed train takes approximately 35 minutes. The duration of the direct trip from Madrid to Toledo by bus is approximately 1 hour (route without intermediate stops). Finally, the journey by car usually takes about one hour,
Where to park in Toledo?
Parking in the historic center is mostly reserved for residents. But there are several public parking lots in the city center However, in my opinion, it is more affordable and convenient to park in the free designated lots outside the city center.
Disclosure: This article about how to get to Toledo from Madrid contains affiliate links. If you book something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission. Affiliate links cost you nothing to use and help keep my content free.